10 February 2008

Ladytron vs. Apop

Upon learning that Ladytron has a new album in the works – I thought I’d check around to see what they have been up to since Witching Hour. I was well aware they had some live acts, including the much coveted Ratatat/the Faint/Ladytron concert last year in LA & a few scattered D.J sets here & there. So, I decided to do a search of remixes – particularly in light of the enjoyable Hot Chip remix of “Destroy Everything you Touch” - to see what ladytron have ‘touched’…

Lucky for us Ladytron don’t destroy everything they touch (har har)– as they have been quite active over the past 2 years & have turned up a range of remixes including reworkings of Goldfrapp, Bloc Party, NIN , Cities, She Wants Revenge, Looper, Bonde Do Role, and Placebo.

One interesting find was Ladytron’s ‘De-shape remix’ of Apoptygma Berzerk’s “Until the End of the World” found on the bonus cd of Sonic Diary.

If you’re not familiar with Apoptygma Berzerk (commonly referred to as Apop), they are a Norwegian band with a post-industrial / future-pop sound. I saw them last year at England’s Infest – where they headlined with VNV Nation. While I was only truly familiar with their track “Rollergirl” from Harmonizer, I thoroughly enjoyed their energetic live show: dancing through a human carwash of neon orange, yellow & blue dreadlocks. I’d highly recommend checking out “Kathy’s song” off Welcome to Earth or the aforementioned “Rollergirl”

Apoptygma Berzerk have songs featured on the new German film Lauf um Dein Leben & Ladytron’s new album is out June 3


No comments: